Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
xml DOM error
Suggestion!
There is no friendly error message for the configuration of connecting to WHM via SSL. The output is simply "xml DOM Error Failed to connect" Bla bla bla
By default you have this set to no.
This about 5 lines of output. This output would confuse the normal user thus leading to support questions here.

[Image: o8rzgo.jpg]

My opinion is that you should connect via SSL via the hostname anyway.
Idea

Sorry but I hate coming across error_log files on the server. Tongue
[Image: hx2n7l.jpg]
SSL should only really be needed if you are communicating with WHM remotely. A local connection is not transmitting data over a network thus securing the connection between 1 server is almost pointless and the majority of users will be using a single server setup so having SSL enabled by default would only benefit the minority. That being said, the error you are receiving is not generated by THT, THT just pulls the exact error WHM reports.
- KuJoe
The only difference between SSL WHM and no SSL is cURL is told to use it and accept invalid SSL certificates.
Kevin Mark - TheHostingTool Lead Developer
I totally agree.
This comes to the point of what the book says and what we really do is two different things. I know of former Linux professors that what slap me across the back of the head for not setting up a server with redirect to hostname via SSL. The viewpoints are too wide.
Now I will mention that I once set up a server and had it locally run DNS (the same server). I had at the time, configserver firewall setup. When I ran the security check, it threw a fit because I was not within RFC 2182 standards.
Read the thread here:
Code:
http://forum.configserver.com/showthread.php?p=7805#post7805
I was "Why is a firewall script telling me this?" Basically...do your job and help out IPTables. Nevermind the DNS.
Nevertheless, Thank you for the explanation.
The security check included in ConfigServer Firewall is an excellent tool but it should only be used as a guideline. I personally don't like the idea that one of their "checks" is whether or not you are using their paid software. Wink
- KuJoe
(04-29-2010, 10:58 PM)KuJoe Wrote: The security check included in ConfigServer Firewall is an excellent tool but it should only be used as a guideline. I personally don't like the idea that one of their "checks" is whether or not you are using their paid software. Wink

I don't like it but I have to give they guy credit for being clever. :p
Kevin Mark - TheHostingTool Lead Developer
It wouldn't have been so bad if they included other scripts (free or paid) in the security check but they didn't, they only included their paid script in the check while leaving out dozens of other that are more beneficial than a simple file scanner (which there is a free version of).
- KuJoe
OK...this has gone off topic. Thanks guys for the the responses.
Perhaps I will open a new topic somewhere else of the board with the title "The cost of being free".