Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass Emailer Symbols in HTML bug
OK, so i mass emailed my users a while ago and it pretty epically failed. Only the first line was sent. Today i decided to investigate this.

I setup a duplicate site, disconnected it from the server, making it standalone, and than removed all the users except a few of my own.

Proceeded to mass email myself. Lol

Anyway, what i came up with was a rather interesting bug, If this has already been reported, sorry i searched to forum and did not see it.

TEST EMAIL 1

Email Sent:
Quote:this

is

a

test

HTML for sent email as generated by mass email text editor:
Code:
<p>this</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>is</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>a</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>bug</p>

Email Received:
Quote:this

As you can see any extra lines cause it to terminate

TEST EMAIL 2
Email Sent:
Quote:another test
words
words
any
bugs
yet
?
!@#$%^&*()_+
HTML for sent email as generated by mass email text editor:
Code:
<p>another test</p>
<p>words</p>
<p>words</p>
<p>any</p>
<p>bugs</p>
<p>yet</p>
<p>?</p>
<p>!@#$%^&amp;*()_+</p>
Email Received:
Quote:another test
words
words
any
bugs
yet
?
!@

As you can see from the 2nd , it is terminating before all symbols are displayed.

Based on what i see I'm going to assume there is some slight error in the code regarding symbols ill take a look around later, don't have time to fix now.
To be honest, this is how TinyMCE works, I'm sure there's some configuration sort of thing which we can sort this with.
Jonny H - THT Main Developer & Founder

It also depends on what you're sending it as. HTML, plain text, or both. If you're sending it as HTML and it expects it to read it as plain-text then it's gonna look bad. It may also be a problem with parsing and maybe some of the html entities aren't being escaped.
Kevin Mark - TheHostingTool Lead Developer
Any progress on this?
I have not had any progress. and its getting really frustrating.
[Image: sig.png]
It's possible there's something wrong with the email client. Maybe it can't receive HTML?
No, no chance. I've tried with gmail, outlook, and a few online ones....

I think the problem occurs when it sends.. I could not find the scripting for that part tho... Does not seem to be a problem with tinymce. I edited tinymce settings for a while, it had no effect on the email that I recieved.. Did like 30 tests lol.
You can take a look at how we send mail in includes/class_email.php
O ok thanks, I'll figure this out eventually.