Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Points Instead of Posts
people, i would recommend waiting. I'll have free plugins out soon.

Also, mghq1, you are not allowed to sell any of THT's code, whether it is modified or not. its against the license.
Nick - TheHostingTool Staff Coordinator

[Image: standard.png]

(10-21-2009, 08:02 AM)Nick Wrote: people, i would recommend waiting. I'll have free plugins out soon.

Also, mghq1, you are not allowed to sell any of THT's code, whether it is modified or not. its against the license.
Actually per your license and i quote
Quote: When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you
want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new
free programs, and that you know you can do these things.

To protect your rights, we need to prevent others from denying you
these rights or asking you to surrender the rights. Therefore, you have
certain responsibilities if you distribute copies of the software, or if
you modify it: responsibilities to respect the freedom of others.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same
freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive
or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they
know their rights.

This states that we are allowed to place a charge on it
From what you just quoted it seems as if I could just download a copy of THT then turn around and sell it. Does that make sense?
Kevin Mark - TheHostingTool Lead Developer
(10-22-2009, 05:04 PM)Kevin Wrote: From what you just quoted it seems as if I could just download a copy of THT then turn around and sell it. Does that make sense?

no but that is your licenese. I am able to redistribute the custom code free or paid
(10-22-2009, 05:29 PM)mghq2 Wrote:
(10-22-2009, 05:04 PM)Kevin Wrote: From what you just quoted it seems as if I could just download a copy of THT then turn around and sell it. Does that make sense?

no but that is your licenese. I am able to redistribute the custom code free or paid

Somehow I doubt that the GPLv3 allows for that. You're saying I could download any GPLv3 program and turn around and sell it? Undecided
Kevin, he's half right, you are allowed to do pretty much anything with modified GPL code.... change to creative commons if you wanna protect the resale of it! Big Grin
(10-22-2009, 06:50 PM)buttons Wrote: Kevin, he's half right, you are allowed to do pretty much anything with modified GPL code.... change to creative commons if you wanna protect the resale of it! Big Grin

I have a serious crush on creative commons. I use it for just about everything I make. Heart
hehe, yeah it's great for protecting your personal rights as maker Big Grin but i like the GPL for small stuff as its much much easier :p
no buttons, the GNU GPL requires that all modifications & dirivative works be released under the same license as the original.
Nick - TheHostingTool Staff Coordinator

[Image: standard.png]

Well i am still offering it as a paid mod. It is perfectly allowed to do it