Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Config file?
I hope I am not the only on who wishes there was a sample config file that could be edited and uploaded. this is the very first installer i've ever seen that did not either include a sample file or a form that created the config.

May I ask that someone please post a sample config file?

BTW - here's a screenshot of the install step one.

The instruction says create a config file". But if it is intended that clicking on the "next" button will do that, the button is dead. Also, I am not able to select an alternative to "install'.

So, what's expected at this point? how can i proceed with the installation?

PROBLEM SOLVED but not a great start.

i found the answer in the thread at

http://thehostingtool.com/forum/thread-1192.html

There are two reasons for saying, not a good start.

First, this question never should have been necessary. The way other programs handle it is to provide a faux config file and call it something like conf.inc_sample.php.

The user finds it in the unzipped files, edits it and them uploads it, overwriting the one on the server and then renaming it to remove "_sample." Lot less confusion.

Second issue is that I searched for the issue, knowing that others surely had encountered this and had the same confusion - but hte forum's search did not return any threads. I found it only by reading and readin and reading.

As I said, not a great way to start. I am an optimist, so I hope that this is the last of all that.

Well they do not includes this for security reasons, so thats why they ask simply for the user to do create it themselves. Its not that hard, but sorry that there was no response. I've been busy
I've been pushing for a sample config file, (e.g. conf.inc.php.default), but apparently there are reasons for not having one. You'll have to ask Kevin.
Nick - TheHostingTool Staff Coordinator

[Image: standard.png]