Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would like to incorporate net2ftp
Hello, firstly thanks for a great script! I would like to incorporate an online ftp called net2ftp into THT. The idea being that once the user has signed up and logged in, they can manage their sites directly from within THT, rather than having to log into cpanel.
The ftp script i'm using does not require the use of a database, but a db can be used for logging purposes.
I figured out a long while back how to incorporate the script within THT so that it appears to be part of THT, but i need to know how to have it automatically detect the users ftp address, username and password, which would be the same as the one created when they sign up. I know this can be done as this ftp script is widely used in many web hosting aplications, but my knowledge of php/scripting is limited. I am able to work things out with a little bit of help, i need some general advice on how to proceed. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
ok, here is my advice:

ftp address: this is going to be the same for the whole server, so if this is just for you, you should manually set this in the net2ftp config.
username: this is going to be the same as the THT and cPanel/WHM username(the username they are logged in with), so you can fetch this with the"$_SESSION['cuser']" variable.
password: tht does not store the pass in the clear anywhere, as this would be a severe security risk, so your best bet is to use a $_POST w/password form/field and use it from that.
Nick - TheHostingTool Staff Coordinator

[Image: standard.png]

(11-09-2010, 02:34 PM)Nick Wrote: ok, here is my advice:

ftp address: this is going to be the same for the whole server, so if this is just for you, you should manually set this in the net2ftp config.
username: this is going to be the same as the THT and cPanel/WHM username(the username they are logged in with), so you can fetch this with the"$_SESSION['cuser']" variable.
password: tht does not store the pass in the clear anywhere, as this would be a severe security risk, so your best bet is to use a $_POST w/password form/field and use it from that.

Nick, thanks very much for your guidance, will look at that now.
An interesting idea, but it's probably easier and safer (more secure) to just let them log into cPanel and use its file manager.
Kevin Mark - TheHostingTool Lead Developer
And you wouldn't have that many features like mysql, fantastico deluxe, cron jobs, or anything else that a web developer would need.
Logan, the users would still have cPanel. This is just in addition to that. Also, fantastico deLuxe is not needed by many web developers, who prefer to install things themselves. As for mySQL and CronJobs, those are not dependant on cPanel at all.
Nick - TheHostingTool Staff Coordinator

[Image: standard.png]

I know that. But I don't even think net2ftp would even be really useful in tht. Cpanel is the best way to go for your control panel.
It could broaden the customer base though due to some people seeing cPanel as quite daunting.

Isn't there some open source say manager for this which you could simply hop into the client area?
Jonny H - THT Main Developer & Founder

The idea of inserting online ftp into THT really sounds good. But it would have been good if the user would have been managed it from the cpanel, because many of the people like to manage their site after logging in cpanel, since it will increase the security of your site. Moreover people are habituated of logging in cpanel rather than in Tht, So better to allow user log in from cpanel.