Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fucking Sad
THT use to be a good script that was getting frequent updates but now it has gone to shit. The lead developer has not released updates for a while now and does not even bother to patch security flaws. The owner and other staff team are inactive.

This is fucking sad just shut down if you are not going to maintain a project do not leave the site open making people think that it is maintained.

The developer promised a new version for 3 years with new features but yet not even a little glimpse of work has been done to its failed progress.

For anybody using THT please do yourself a favor and stop using it you are not only putting your client/customers information at risk but you are also taking a huge risk with your server as it can lead to it being compromised.

I may take the current release of 1.2.6 and rename it as well as maintain it fixing all security flaws and bugs and doing some real changes. Of course if I do this it will start out as whatever I decide to call it but v1.0. But this will be on a brand new website. If I decide to do this the url will be posted here and if this account gets banned it will be posted on Multiple accounts.

Also fair warning the community here is using MyBB 1.4 which has major vulnerability's so if you use any passwords the same as any email or logins on other site change your information now. The latest MyBB version is 1.6.12.
Despite the informal rhetoric and awkward threats, I'm going to keep this here. Primarily for my own amusement, but also as a place to explain where TheHostingTool is and where it's going. I'll try and take it point by point here. You are vocalizing the concerns I'm sure many potential users have, albeit immaturely, and so addressing them makes a good deal of sense.

(02-11-2014, 10:55 PM)brandont Wrote: THT use to be a good script that was getting frequent updates but now it has gone to shit. The lead developer has not released updates for a while now and does not even bother to patch security flaws. The owner and other staff team are inactive.

During a time when THT was under considerable active development, the future was quite exciting. I expected THT to be completely rewritten a year or more ago. Unfortunately, other developers had other responsibilities. Some just vanished. Some even avoided talking to me, which is silly. There's no reason to be ashamed of not having enough time to contribute. From the beginning the project was developed on a as-we-have-free-time basis. This attitude has guided the project since then.

I remain the only "active" developer. Perhaps I should change my title? I'm currently responsible for the entirety of the project from development, to support, to website hosting. Everything. The project definitely has gone "gone to shit" on the metric that there's simply not enough interest. There are plenty of potential users but very few people are actually willing to contribute. Those who do, don't have much time. The Reworked fork was refreshing from a development perspective, albeit the versioning scheme was a tad confusing.

As far as updates, I'm not in the business of releasing half baked updates. If you want the latest and greatest before full testing you need to check out the repo on GitHub. Security patches are especially difficult to procure because I don't have the time to actively look for vulnerabilities that have been found. If someone from the community wanted to have a vulnerability patched ASAP, I'd expect them to at least private message me. If some THT installation on some site gets exploited there's no way of me magically knowing a vulnerability exists. It needs to be reported to me. Oh, and because there's no encryption or obfuscation of the source code, there is absolutely nothing preventing you from curating your own patch.

In regards to the activity of Jonny: From my understanding he's gone on to other things and is at this point more interested in keeping the project online for posterity. It's a possibility he may return to the project but I haven't actively communicated with him in quite some time. For all intents and purposes I'm the maintainer and to some extent the proprietor. In fact the only thing I believe Jonny would not want me to do with THT is to remove it from the Internet. From a legal perspective my claim to TheHostingTool is shaky at best, but I'm not very concerned with that. Disagree with the management of a FOSS project? Fork it.

(02-11-2014, 10:55 PM)brandont Wrote: This is fucking sad just shut down if you are not going to maintain a project do not leave the site open making people think that it is maintained.

I touched on this lightly above but I'm not entirely certain how I'm misleading people. If you check the forums (or really anywhere) and see the date of the last release, you'll come to the "inactive" conclusion on your own. I'm not going to strap a huge disclaimer on the home page to compensate for ignorance and laziness. If you're not going to research the software that you will use to manage your future clients, I doubt you're prepared to run a hosting service.

(02-11-2014, 10:55 PM)brandont Wrote: The developer promised a new version for 3 years with new features but yet not even a little glimpse of work has been done to its failed progress.

Can you please find where I promised anything on a specific timeframe? That's not our policy.

(02-11-2014, 10:55 PM)brandont Wrote: Also fair warning the community here is using MyBB 1.4 which has major vulnerability's so if you use any passwords the same as any email or logins on other site change your information now. The latest MyBB version is 1.6.12.

Well, I hate to break it to you but we're on MyBB 1.6.
Kevin Mark - TheHostingTool Lead Developer
Well said Kevin
@brandont, its probably jack arses like you that make him think "why do i bother" If your that bothered then why not get involved in helping to develop Thehostingtool instead of sitting here bitching about it. Its a free hosting tool, what more do you want for free!?
@brandont I must say that I agree with the other people that have posted on this thread.

Free is free. The developers I am sure do not get paid to work on this script. When you have an issue with a free, open source project that you do not like as it is, you can modify it to fit your needs. Of course, don't expect support for it in all cases.
I am sorry but if your worried about security then you as the owner/developer has failed your own clients/members not the developers that designed / developed this engine. for most I know this old but still fresh on a few peoples minds if the developers of this software could contact me and I will guide you to a base I been using since 2003 ( 13yrs old ) which was built in 1998 which we all know was the year after md5 was hacked lol ( oh it might not be the same base line as this source but will help everyone from hackers till the 5 moons from pluto join earths moon ) ... seriously though for free software with some fucking idea on security from the quick overlook they have done a fucking prime job to keep your arse outta hackers hands and let's be fucking polite to the developers which I did see they dedicate there free time to this community so how about you get off your fat arse brandont and develop something for this community if your a professional programmer show me your monkey skills and I can hack anything and everything like opening up a gift from god himself knowledge is my bitch and I tell you what for the past 3yrs since I been back on the dev side of life I bump into cyber punks like you 24/7 now that fucking sad.

Respect goes anyone who stand by me, anyone that doubts or brings us down I will rip a new idea and come back into this game like a professional and show these kids / adults what it is like to freestyle with web development. Yeah I am big on Lil Wayne & Eminem so watch out! I am just like Eminem ... Your my enemy till your beaten then you will sit there with your fingers up your arse till the next blue moon.

Hint on my style punk:
<fuck> You </fuck>
yeah that is right legit with any html code I run ... 0Day or Scene? who really knows but I am the only guy on this world that can confuse you and 80 other computer followers as to my knowledge. #Aspergers #GoBackToSchool
(09-12-2015, 10:55 AM)SnowFlask Wrote: I am sorry but if your worried about security then you as the owner/developer has failed your own clients/members not the developers that designed / developed this engine. for most I know this old but still fresh on a few peoples minds if the developers of this software could contact me and I will guide you to a base I been using since 2003 ( 13yrs old ) which was built in 1998 which we all know was the year after md5 was hacked lol ( oh it might not be the same base line as this source but will help everyone from hackers till the 5 moons from pluto join earths moon ) ... seriously though for free software with some fucking idea on security from the quick overlook they have done a fucking prime job to keep your arse outta hackers hands and let's be fucking polite to the developers which I did see they dedicate there free time to this community so how about you get off your fat arse  brandont and develop something for this community if your a professional programmer show me your monkey skills and I can hack anything and everything like opening up a gift from god himself knowledge is my bitch and I tell you what for the past 3yrs since I been back on the dev side of life I bump into cyber punks like you 24/7 now that fucking sad.

Respect goes anyone who stand by me, anyone that doubts or brings us down I will rip a new idea and come back into this game like a professional and show these kids / adults what it is like to freestyle with web development. Yeah I am big on Lil Wayne & Eminem so watch out! I am just like Eminem ... Your my enemy till your beaten then you will sit there with your fingers up your arse till the next blue moon.

Hint on my style punk:
<fuck> You </fuck>
yeah that is right legit with any html code I run ... 0Day or Scene? who really knows but I am the only guy on this world that can confuse you and 80 other computer followers as to my knowledge. #Aspergers #GoBackToSchool
You are a complete fucking retard, you can't hack shit. Stop talking out of your ass and grow a pair you punk ass bitch, you trying to act like you know me LMAO you are a fucking tool. 

You trying to make people feel bad about you having Asperger syndrome is a fucking joke, guess what I don't give a shit. 

You are a lame excuse of a human being.
(04-22-2014, 05:36 PM)Trax Wrote: @brandont, its probably jack arses like you that make him think "why do i bother" If your that bothered then why not get involved in helping to develop Thehostingtool instead of sitting here bitching about it. Its a free hosting tool, what more do you want for free!?

I have used TheHostingTool before, and when it was active in development, it was one of the best free billing software for web hosts available. It was origionally designed for post2host web hosts which recently have been on the decline. However, that being said, i have been working on the core of THT2, and am planning on reviving the project with TheHostingTool 2.0. I will be discussing more with Kevin about the options for reviving the community as well.

https://github.com/TheHostingTool/THT2/pulls
LMAO just saw this hilarious thread while reliving some old hosting memories from 2010. Just wanted to say thanks for all the work y'all did on this product, for free, it made NiftyHost possible for the few short years it was running Smile

@brandont I am looking forward to seeing your fork of THT.
(08-28-2020, 04:17 PM)Zack Wrote: LMAO just saw this hilarious thread while reliving some old hosting memories from 2010. Just wanted to say thanks for all the work y'all did on this product, for free, it made NiftyHost possible for the few short years it was running Smile

@brandont I am looking forward to seeing your fork of THT.

X100

And NiftyHost ? I remember this!